On the 20th of February, University of Leicester Hockey Club hosted an event to raise awareness and money for Women's Aid Leicestershire, a charity that supports victims of domestic and sexual abuse.
The ladies' side of the club held a 24-hour stay awake event, connecting with each other virtually to raise awareness for this cause. The men's side of the club completed a fitness challenge, running 24km each in the same week. In total, they managed to raise an incredible £1350, putting them right to the top of the RAG Leaderboard!
The Students’ Union itself is a registered charity, and as such, all affiliated Student Groups are part of the registered charity. This means that all money that is fundraised for charity must be banked through the SU in order to comply with UK Charity Law. This applies for all Student Groups all year round, including out-of-term time.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, we are not currently able to accept paying-in forms and cash donations in person. We advise that you do not collect any cash at this time. Instead of coming into the Students' Union, you should download the Charity Donation Form here, and send it to email@example.com.
If you are raising money via an established online platform (e.g. JustGiving) then you must let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your fundraiser is finished, you must let us know the total that has been donated online, so that we can update our records. As well as ensuring that we abide by UK Charity Law, this process also makes sure that your Student Group gets recognition for all of your fundraising.
Full information can be found in our Committee Training handbook, 'Student Group Financial Management'. If you've got any questions about fundraising for an external charity, please email us at email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you!
1. Event and fundraising notification form - a form to register your fundraiser with the SU!
2. Charity donation form - you need to fill this out if donating money to charity.
3. How to fundraise handbook - a guide on how to throw different types of events.
4. Food or external speaker request forms - forms to register any extras for your event.
5. Bag packing letter - a template if you're trying to get a bag packing fundraiser to happen.
6. How to contact organisations for your fundraising - a guide on how to contact different organisations for your fundraiser.