Equality and Liberation Champions (ELC's) - APPLY NOW
Duties and Responsibilities:
You will be the lead contact within your department for students to raise concerns or provide feedback on issues of race, gender, sexuality, diversity and accessibility, and will provide a signposting facility to appropriate support services where necessary. Usually there will be at least two Equality and Liberation Champions (ELC) per department and at least one of which will self-identify as BAME
- Point of contact for any issues raised, or feedback provided by students in your department and liaise with the relevant Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) staff, the Student Staff Committee (SSC) chair/secretary and/or the Students’ Union Equality and Liberation Officer and work proactively and collaboratively to resolve such issues;
- Maintain close communication with SU, either in person or online;
- Participate in welcome week and other appropriate University and SU organised events e.g. Black History Month, LGBT History Month and International Womens’ Day, etc;
- Engage with Academic Representatives and Part Time Officers to raise awareness of race, gender, sexuality, diversity, equality and accessibility issues that have been raised to you;
- Undertake the relevant training provided by the SU, which will equip you with the skills and tools to succeed in the role;
- Attend termly forum with the Students Union where you will;
- Raise any matters which have been raised with you by students.
- Discuss steps to be undertaken to actively reduce potential inequality issues within courses or department.
- Follow up any previously raised issues to ensure that agreed solutions are implemented.
- Share best practice.
- Attend where possible Student Staff Committees in your department;
- Attend monthly Inclusive Curriculum student group meetings, and actively engage in the work of the Educational Excellence programme that deals with issues of equality, diversity and inclusion in the academic experience;
- Organise events that positively promote race, gender, sexuality, equality, diversity and accessibility within your department.
Benefits -ELC's will develop a wide variety of skills through the training provided and the activities that you will be working on this will include:
- Event planning
- Project management
To become an Equality and Liberation Champion click here to apply, applications are open till Monday 2nd September