UPDATE: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Advice Service is now closed and will not be offering any face to face meetings or drop-ins. We will still be advising via email and can arrange video calls and phone calls if required. Information about our service changes is available here.
Here to help, offer advice and support to all University of Leicester students
Whether it’s course-related, queries with accommodation or personal problems - we give you invaluable, confidential and impartial advice. What’s more, it is free.
Independent of the University, we will listen, consider your circumstances and advise you on the best route to take. We will talk you through processes and advise you on how to put together the information you need, as well as reviewing it for you before you submit to the University.
Typical topics we can help you with include:
Mitigating circumstances, academic appeals, misconduct issues, complaints, changing course, suspending or withdrawing studies and withdrawal from your course for non-attendance.
We are currently receiving enquiries from students asking what their legal obligations are in relation to their accommodation. Further information is available here .
House hunting, moving in, contracts and knowing your rights, living in rented accommodation, housemate relationships, moving out and deposit reclaim.
We will listen to you and will identify relevant services here and in the community that can support you, including helping you to communicate your needs to other departments with your consent.
You can visit our signposting pages for a directory of all services that can help you.
- Our Headspace sessions are ran by Turning Point, who provide free, confidential mental health support. Appointments are currently being held via phone, so you can access them from wherever you are in the UK.
- Sessions run every Monday to Friday during term time, 10am-4pm.
- Drop-in: Call 07812509495 between 10am-12pm to speak to someone straight away.
- Appointment: Complete the form here to book a slot between 1-4pm, and someone from the Advice Service will get in touch to confirm your slot.
- Students who experience a crisis outside normal working hours can contact the University for support through the University Security 24/7 contact number 0116 252 2888.
- The Residence Life Team for Oadby and City halls is also available 24/7 at 0116 252 2428.
- UK Emergency number (Police, Fire & Ambulance): 999
- Emergency number (Police, Fire & Ambulance): 112
- Visit here for more information about who to contact in an emergency about feeling unwell, mental health crisis, accommodation issues, sexual or other types of assault, and reporting incidents.
We recommend taking a look at our student-friendly academic advice step-by-step guides to get a better understanding of the academic processes before getting in touch with us.