Advice Service


Here to help, offer advice and support to all University of Leicester students!

The Advice Service is open throughout the year (excluding bank holidays and University closure days).

Please note our Students' Union Advice Service will be closed over the Christmas holiday period, therefore the advice inbox and contact with the team will not be possible during this time. 
The service will close from 4:00pm on Thursday 22nd December 2022 and not be open until the 9:00am on Wednesday 4th January 2023.


Our reception is open 11am-3pm, Monday to Friday, but our service opening hours are 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.

Whether it’s course-related, queries with accommodation or personal problems - we give you invaluable, confidential and impartial advice. What’s more, it is free.

Independent of the University, we will listen, consider your circumstances and advise you on the best route to take. We will talk you through processes and advise you on how to put together the information you need, as well as reviewing it for you before you submit to the University.

Typical topics we can help you with include:


  • Academic

    • Mitigating circumstances, academic appeals, misconduct issues, complaints, changing course, suspending or withdrawing studies and withdrawal from your course for non-attendance.

  • Housing

    • We are currently receiving enquiries from students asking what their legal obligations are in relation to their accommodation. Further information is available here .

    • House hunting, moving in, contracts and knowing your rights, living in rented accommodation, housemate relationships, moving out and deposit reclaim.


  • Signposting and accessing further support

    • We will listen to you and will identify relevant services here and in the community that can support you, including helping you to communicate your needs to other departments with your consent.

    • You can visit our signposting pages for a directory of all services that can help you.

  • Out of Hours/Emergency support

    • Students who experience a crisis outside normal working hours can contact the University for support through the University Security 24/7 contact number 0116 252 2888.
    • The Residence Life Team for Oadby and City halls is also available 24/7 at 0116 252 2428.
    • UK Emergency number (Police, Fire & Ambulance): 999
    • Emergency number (Police, Fire & Ambulance): 112
    • Visit here for more information about who to contact in an emergency about feeling unwell, mental health crisis, accommodation issues, sexual or other types of assault, and reporting incidents. 


We recommend taking a look at our student-friendly academic advice step-by-step guides to get a better understanding of the academic processes before getting in touch with us.


University of Leicester Students' Union
Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
Write to Us: Email

Powered by MSL

The University of Leicester Students' Union is a registered charity no. 1137811 and a company limited by guarantee registered in England no. 7303101