Frequently Asked Questions


This page should help you navigate through some of our most commonly asked questions, and should give you a helping hand moving forward. If there are any other questions you have, please feel free to email us: unionactivities@le.ac.uk


Elected Officers:

Q: Who are the elected officers for the 23/24 academic year?

A: This year, we have a wonderful executive officer team, and you can find more about who they are, and what they do here - Your Officers.


Student Support:

Q: Where can I seek help for issues like housing, finance, and my wellbeing?

A: It is important that students can find the relevant support they need, and as such, we have a wonderful advice service! Should you need any help, please reach out to the advice team. You can get an idea of the things they can help you with here - Advice.

Q: Where can I access out of hours student support?

A: Student support is really important to us and we want to make signposting the available resources easier for you! If you need any help with issues that don't concern opportunities and activities, all resources can be found here - Student Support Out of Hours.


Societies and Clubs -

  • For all students:

Q: How can I join a society/club?

A: You can find the membership available from the page of a society/club.  Visit the Find a Society page. You can purchase a membership by paying on the website after clicking Add to Basket. Each group will have a different membership fee; some of them are free. There is no limit to how many you can join; if you would like to do a refund, usually it will be available for up to 3 weeks, but you will need to email unionactivities@leicester.ac.uk or contact the committee if you have any questions or after purchasing 3 weeks. 

Q: The society I am interested in is not active, how do I adopt a society?

A: Adopting a society has never been simpler! Take a look at all the societies we have to offer under the 'adopt' category and send us an email if you see anything you like! You can see all of our 'Adopt a Society' groups here: Adopt now

Q: How do I start a new society?

A: The process for starting a new student group is really easy and is a great way to make the most of your time at University! The process includes filling in the New Student Group application form. You can access the link here: New Student Group Application. If you want to start a new group. but can't find other students that are interested, you can suggest your ideas here: New Group Suggestions. 

  • For committee members only:

Q: How do we add a new committee member to our currently existing society?

A: All committee members are elected into their positions, usually in the large Student Group Elections that take place in March of the current academic year. Therefore, to add another committee member the process may vary depending on what time of the year we are in. If it is early into the academic year, we may suggest waiting for a by-election to elect the new committee member. If it is closer to the annual Student Group Elections, we may suggest that you wait and add this position into this election. In any case, we would encourage you to email unionactivities@leicester.ac.uk  so that we can best advise you!

Q: Can I hold more than one position on committee of a society?

A: You are able to hold committee positions in a variety of different societies! However, in a single society, you are not allowed to hold more than one core committee position (President, Treasurer and Wellbeing). 

Q: How do I book a room for my society?

A: The booking process is only available for all the student group committees. The process for booking a room is relatively straightforward. We simply ask you to fill out the form to notify us of the event you are hosting. You can find more information here: Room Bookings 

Q: What documents does my Student Group need to submit to be affiliated?

A: All student groups must hand in their Constitution and Master Risk Assesment to be affiliated with the Students Union. These can be found here - Student Group Handover and Re-Affiliation.

Q: How can I book the SUMUP Card Reader?

A: The SUMUP Card Reader is rented to student groups and should be booked through the Event Notification Form. We recommend doing this early. 

Q: What is an association, and how does my Student Group become one?

A: Associations are large, collaborative networks of student groups. You do not need to become one to collaborate but if you and similiar groups do a lot to work together, or cover a certain area (e.g., based under the same school or college). You can find out more information about the requirements to start an association, and the application form, here.

Q: How can my student group apply for grant funding?

A: Any student group can apply for grant funding and is a simple process that requires an application to be filled out. All student groups must read through the guidelines carefully before submitting an application. You can access the application form here



Q: I'm looking for a job on campus, where can I find these? 

A: There are lots of opportunities for student jobs on campus. These range from working in the Students' Union, to using Unitemps to find a job that works for you. To access and find more about these opportunities, you can have a look here - Current Vacancies, and Info for Students. 

Q: What is Student Council? 

A: Student Council is where policy and campaigns are discussed. This is made up of Officers, elected representatives (like Academic Reps, core student group committee members), and the Scrutiny Panel. All students are welcome to attend, contribute and vote on the matters being discussed. You can find out more about this here - Student Council.

Q: I have something I want to implement at University and need the Students' Union, and student help - how do I do this? 

A: We have come up with a great system known as 'ideas'. This is a simple way for students to submit ideas and vote on ideas from other students. If it's something simple, we will look into it straight away and see if it can be acheived. If it needs more resource and student support, it needs 20 positive votes to go to Student Council. For more information, click here - ideas

University of Leicester Students' Union
Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
Write to Us: Email

Powered by MSL

The University of Leicester Students' Union is a registered charity no. 1137811 and a company limited by guarantee registered in England no. 7303101