LUFAS & LWEMS - Beyond First Aid
Mon 17 February 2020 18:30-19:45
George Davies Centre - Seminar Room 1.33
Training Session run by Leicester University First Aid Society (LUFAS)
On Monday 17th February, Leicester Wilderness and Emergency Medicine Society (LWEMS) will be coming in to deliver a unique session specially for LUFAS so you can gain an understanding of care beyond first aid. This session is always very interesting and engaging and is by far one of the best of the course! Let us know you're coming on our Facebook event page.
This year they will cover three bases on:
- Airway assessment and management
- Mass casualty situation management and triaging
- Patient assessment, note taking and handing over to the emergency services
The session will take place as usual in the George Davies Centre (Room 1.33) at 6:30pm. Please try to be on time as you don’t want to miss out!
Who are LWEMS?
The Leicester Wilderness and Emergency Medicine Society (LWEMS) run practical teaching sessions on pre-hospital care, wilderness medicine and emergency medicine for medical students in all years. They also run lots of trips all over the country focusing on wilderness and survival medical care.
LUFAS has been working with LWEMS since 2018 on projects (such as this one) to give first aiders some extra skills that are useful in managing situations and insight into the more advanced care that patients might receive after you hand them over to the emergency services.
Some feedback from students following last year’s session:
- “Fit really well with content taught in other sessions, and appropriate for some (slightly more extreme!) first aid situations. Also, airways base was really interesting as an extra insight. Teaching was good and it was nice to rotate around the bases like we do in LUFAS”
- “Really interesting new topics covered and explained really well”
- “Was able to get involved as much as possible, informative, engaging, as a law student the medical jargon was simplified and explained for good understanding which I appreciated highly, great session!”
- “Would love for LWEMS to come back to do more sessions and go more in depth”
We hope to see you all there!
Join the LUFAS Facebook Group
Follow LUFAS on Instagram