Housing Advice


We are here to help with all your housing queries and use the term ‘housing’ to refer to all types of property, including flats. For example, if you want to know your rights, need help resolving an issue with your landlord/housemate or need to leave a property, come and see us for some advice.

Leicester has lots of housing available so there is no need to rush into signing for a house. There are many different types of housing available to students: University Halls of Residence, Private Halls of Residence, Private Housing and Lodging. You have different rights and responsibilities in each situation. We can advise you on the advantages and disadvantages of each option, as well as checking your contract to make sure you’re getting a fair deal.

Our role in providing you housing advice

  1. Listen to you explain your situation and provide you with advice and support on living in rented housing and recommend next steps e.g. accessing further services.
  2. Liaise with other services and departments on your behalf where needed, with your consent.
  3. Review and provide further guidance on any documentation you need to collate before you submit it.
  4. Continue to provide advice on any outcomes you experience and anything else you’d like advice on during your student journey. 

We recommend that you

  1. Read through our step-by-step guides on housing processes to help you increase your knowledge of renting. In the meantime, contact us on the form below with any housing queries you may have and we’ll provide you with direct advice.
  2. Get in touch with us by either filling in the online form or dropping in and speaking with us.
  3. Visit our Signposting and Wellbeing -Housing support page, to get details on further services that can support you in the meantime, that may be helpful to you. 


Sulets are a proud sponsor of this section of the Union site. Sulets is the only Leicester student accommodation & lettings agency recommended by Leicester Students’ Union.

Please note the Students’ Union Advice Service is an independent service and any queries relating to Sulets will be represented exactly as all other accommodation providers.

University of Leicester Students' Union
Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
Write to Us: Email

Powered by MSL

The University of Leicester Students' Union is a registered charity no. 1137811 and a company limited by guarantee registered in England no. 7303101