Housing Support


Choosing where to live in a new city can present tricky decisions and the potential to make or break a student experience. Should you live in Halls or live out in a privately rented house, which part of town? Our Housing Step-by-step Guides can help you.

Also, during your search, be sure to keep the NUS House Hunting checklist nearby to help you with your final decision. Download it here.

Campus Support
Advice Service

Free, confidential academic, housing and signposting advice.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 10am-4pm.


Phone: 0116 223 1132/ 1184/ 1109.

Get in touch via this this online form, or book a phone/ Skype appointment here.

Please note: We are not currently offering face-to-face drop-ins or appointments.

Free Legal Advice Clinic

The Legal Advice Clinic is a free service offered by Law students, academics and local professionals.

The clinic provides legal advice in several areas of law which we believe may prove to be relevant for our potential clients; e.g.

  • Landlord and Tenancy Law
  • Employment Law
  • Contractual Disputes
  • The Clinic cannot advise on actions against the University of Leicester, Criminal Law, and Personal Injury cases.
  • The Clinic cannot advise against issues that have already been to court, are going to court, or you have already / are seeking legal help from a practising firm at the time of the interview.

To book an appointment, please email lawadviceclinic@leicester.ac.uk and request an ‘Initial Client Details’ form.

Email: lawadviceclinic@leicester.ac.uk
Website: www.le.ac.uk/legal-advice

Residential Advisors in University Halls 

Residential Advisors are students that are employed to provide support and guidance to other students living in the University halls of residence.

A key element of this role is to actively promote a sense of community within each residence in order to maintain the safety, health and wellbeing of all students.
All residents of University accommodation will have a Residential Advisor who will be dropping in on a regular basis to say hello and to deliver useful information or ask for them at your accommodations main Reception or click here for more information. 

Student Welfare Service

Provide advice on financial issues, immigration, housing, leaving care, childcare, bullying and harassment and benefits.
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 09:00am to 05:00pm.
Phone: 0116 223 1185
Email:  welfare@le.ac.uk
Website: www2.le.ac.uk/offices/welfare
Not currently offering face to face appointments or drop ins but will consult with students to arrange alternative engagement.

Community Support
Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice provides free, confidential and independent advice to help people overcome their problems.

On their resources pages you can find information about how to go about renting or buying a home or just finding somewhere to live. You can also find advice on handling problems with your landlord and help to avoid losing your home.

These are available here: citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/

Contact details:
Phone: 0300 330 1025
Location: 60 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FB

Gov.Uk Advice

The government website offers information in regards to landlord responsibilities when renting out their property.
This information is available here: gov.uk/renting-out-a-property

For ongoing unresolved problems and complaints about letting agents/ agencies you can also contact the organisations below (and also about landlords if they are members of the Ombudsman scheme)

Property Ombudsman

Property Redress Scheme

Property complaints - Which

Leicester City Council

The City Council offers support services and advice to private tenants and landlords.
Phone number: +44 (0) 116 454 1001
Website: leicester.gov.uk/your-community/housing/renting-private-housing/
Additional information: gov.uk/renting-out-a-property

Shelter Housing

Charity providing expert advice and support regarding housing.
Free helpline (8am to 8pm on weekdays and 9am to 5pm on weekends): 0808 800 4444
Online chat: england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/webchat
Housing advice pages: england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice
SHARP Project resource: leicestershelter.org.uk/

Click here for information on budgeting, including managing bills and expenses.

University of Leicester Students' Union
Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
Write to Us: Email

Powered by MSL

The University of Leicester Students' Union is a registered charity no. 1137811 and a company limited by guarantee registered in England no. 7303101