As a member of your Students' Union, there are a number of ways that you can voice your opinions, express your concerns and generally help shape the future of student life at the University of Leicester.
These include getting involved in Executive Elections - either by running as a candidate, or by voting for one. You can also have a real say in the teaching and learning experience that you receive as a student at Leicester by becoming a Course Representative.
We like to call these 'Union Wins', here's some of examples of of how we have helped turn your ideas and suggestions into reality:
- Changes to Mitigating Circumstances Policy which included
- Removal of the need for evidence of family breavements and sexual harassment
- Inclusion of racilaised Trauma and other Identity-based trauma as a reason for mitigating circumstances
- repeated evidence is not required for the flare-ups of declared long-term conditions
- Worked with the University to recruit 6 new counsellors including LGBT+ and BAME Representation
- Successfully increase the refund students will receive on their Gym memberships from 25% to the total length of time the gym was closed (roughly 5 and a half months)
- Lobbied the University to put disposable masks drop of points in the Oadby Student Village
- New Head Space Service available to students offering daily drop in telephone appointments.
- Successfully lobbied the University so that Students will be able apply to University Covid Hardship Fund to cover the cost of Sports Membership, this will work in conjunction with Sports Opportunities Inclusion Fund.
- Over £27,000 across 3 years given back to students in our Additional Costs Scheme
- Graduation Gown Bursary introduced
- Free Contraception and Sanitary Products available within the Students' Union
- EU ID cards accepted as a form of ID in the O2
- Hand Sanitiser introduced across campus (pre covid)
- Introduction of University managed bus service between Halls and University at roughly half the cost.
- New Housing Advice Service launched
- Introduction of areas within the Library where you are able to eat Food
- Free, confidential Drug Testing Kits available within the Students' Union
- Introduction of Safety Bus Service
- Lobbied the University to declare a Climate Emergency