Volunteering Hub FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

This page should help answer some commonly asked questions about the Volunteering Hub. If you have any questions not answered below, please get in touch at unionvolunteering.le.ac.uk. 

How do I get started?

Log in to the Students’ Union website using your university log in details. You will now be able to access all of the resources on the Volunteering Hub. Find the Volunteering Hub via the ‘Community Tab’. From here, you can view your profile, browse opportunities, log your hours and more. If you are an organisation, do not log in to the main website, instead log in/register by going to the 'Partner Organisation Area'.

How do I search and apply for volunteering opportunities?

Search for opportunities via the 'Browse Opportunities' page. You can filter by area of interest and when you are available. Click on the opportunity you are interested in and read the details about the volunteering role. If you’re interested in applying, click the ‘Apply for this opportunity’ button. The organisation will be notified of your interest and they will get in touch with you directly. If you have not received an email from the organisation within 2 weeks, please contact unionvolunteering@leicester.ac.uk. Also check your junk folders.

Do I need any skills or previous experience to volunteer?

You can see what skills or experience is required on the opportunity advert. Many volunteering roles do not require any skills or prior experience, just an interest and willingness to get involved. If you are not sure, we recommend registering your interest in the role and having a discussion with the organisation. There could be flexibility or a slightly different role for you.

I don't have much free time. Can I still volunteer?

There are lots of volunteering opportunities available, many allowing you to do as little or as much volunteering as you wish, including ‘one-off’ sessions.

Can I start my own volunteering project?

Yes! If you have an idea for a new ‘Student Led Project’, email us at unionvolunteering@leicester.ac.uk and we can help.

Can I register my student group on the hub?

Yes, if you are part of a student-led volunteering group you can register on our hub. It’s a great way of getting more student volunteers for your projects!

I would like to volunteer with a charity that is not on the hub. Can I put them forward to be on the hub?

Yes, we are always looking to add registered charities or not for profit organisations. Just ask them to visit our Volunteering Hub or contact us at: unionvolunteering@leicester.ac.uk

I am an organisation. How can I list opportunities?

If you are a registered charity, or not for profit organisation you can register with us on our online Volunteering Hub. Once approved as an organisation, you can list your volunteering opportunities. Please visit our ‘Partner Organisation Area’ or contact us at: unionvolunteering@leicester.ac.uk

Is there anything I need to do once I have volunteered?

Once you have volunteered, make sure to log your hours and skills on your profile.

How do I log my hours?

Once you have done some volunteering, you can log your hours by visiting your ‘Volunteering Profile’ and selecting ‘Log hours’. Add a ‘Community Project’ or ‘Committee Role’, and then log hours for a specific event/date. If you did this project over a number of days/weeks, make sure to create a new entry for each day.

Why should I log my hours?

Not only will you will build a useful record of your volunteering, but you can also earn certificates by logging a certain number of hours (25, 50, 100 and 200 hour awards). These records and certificates will be great for you to go back to when you are job hunting.

University of Leicester Students' Union
Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
Write to Us: Email