Welcome to the Homeless Outreach Society!
Have you noticed the high levels of homelessness in Leicester? Would you like to give the homeless a better quality of life? Do you like working as a team? If you answered yes, then this is the society for you!
The Homeless Outreach Society has been constantly growing since being established in 2017, positively growing week by week to help support a larger quanitity of people in need and we are looking for new, enthuastic members to help our society continue in doing this!
The University of Leicester Homeless Outreach Society is a student group which aims to:
- Increase awareness of homelessness within Leicester
- Reduce the deprivity of essentials such as food and water
- Provide a positive service for society which is rewarding for all parties involved
- Supports local homelessness charities such as "The Bridge: Homelessness to Hope"
The Homeless Outreach Society offers great opportunities for all members to be fully involved enabling you to gain various transferable skills such as:
- Communication - Communicating and listening with the homeless as well as potential events representing the society
- Teamwork - Whilst on outreaches, you will be working in teams showing how teamwork is vital
- Leadership - Showing leadership and initiative whilst on outreaches for example
- Organisation - Fundraising events and outreaches requires organisation
- Time Management - During events and outreaches there is an expectation that you will arrive on time
How can you help participate in the society?
In the society, we are open to anyone who is willing to help. You can help by:
- Attending weekly outreaches
- Help during fundraising events
- Donating any unwanted items such as clothing or collecting any donated items which we can give out during outreaches
- Attending outreaches where we donate clothing and/or other essentials
- Volunteer with events alongside the society with "The Bridge: Homelessness to Hope"
We are interested in helping support the homeless through our weekly outreaches. We currently have weekly outreaches on Tuesday's and Wednesday's at 6pm and Sunday's at 5pm and are looking to grow for the year ahead.
You can choose whether you'd like to attend once a week or once everyone month! The choice is yours!
We are aiming on providing a minimum of two fundraising events each semester to try and increase the societies funds which we can use on providing essentials for the homeless. We plan on doing this by potental cake sales or raffles for example. These will be discussed closer to the time!
We accept any usable clothing or footwear which would be appropiate for donation for the homeless citizens to help provide an extra layer of insulation. We also accept other society donations, with the Leicester Marrow Society being extremely generous by donating jumpers last year.
We also donated over a dozen sleeping bags last year during the harsh winter months, which shows the positive impact our society has on society
Last year, we helped organise and participated in an event called "The Big Sleep". This is students and staff gave up the comfort of their own bed for the night and slept outside to have a realisation of how hard life is for the homeless citizens on a daily basis. Over £9,000 was raised for "The Bridge: Homelessness to Hope", showing how successful this event was. We plan on doing this again next year and plan on raising even more! The picture below shows some of our members at the event last year, which was attended by the Leicester Mercury.
The Big Sleep 2019 is now live!! The link for more information is as follows: https://www2.le.ac.uk/students/studying/events/the-big-sleep
Join the University of Leicester Homeless Outreach Society today and make a difference!
100% of the membership fee goes towards supporting our society in terms of providing goods for the homeless such as food and water, sleeping bags and toiletries which are all essentials for survival.
Join our Facebook page: CLICK HERE
Once you've become a member, CLICK HERE to join the Facebook groups where events, outreaches and socials are arranged
President: Katharine Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary: Erin Grieveson (email@example.com)
Treasurer: Jean-Christian Ngu Foncha (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wellbeing and Inclusion Ambassador: Izzie Berwick (email@example.com)
Social Media Officer: Priya Jethwa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Events Coordinator: Bella Connor (email@example.com)
If you have any problems or questions, feel free to message any of our committee members or message our Facebook page where we will be quick to respond