Sign up to our Mailing List to find out more information about our group!
What We Do
Leicester Marrow work alongside the charity Anthony Nolan to help save the lives of people with blood cancer by signing people onto the stem cell register.
This contains potential donors who may be tissue matches for those with cancer, with stems cells having the ability to regenerate good cells to get rid of the bad ones.
For a variety of reasons, young people like us make the best donors - with a real chance of saving a life. That's why it's important we do the work we do.
As a result, our goals are:
- To raise awareness of the importance of signing onto the register at the University of Leicester
- Sign students between the ages of 16-30 onto the stem cell register - it only takes 10 minutes!
- Fundraise for Anthony Nolan itself since signing people onto the register costs the charity a total of £40 per person so we need to do both type of events as they work in conjunction.
- Bust myths! People often think this is a painful process (not true!) and unaware that there's a 1 in 100 chance they would ever donate.
Becoming A Volunteer
Helping out and giving back couldn't be easier, and here at Leicester Marrow we train students throughout the academic year to help us in our mission of recruiting as many potenial donors as possible so that we can help save the lives of those suffering with blood cancer.
- Help save lives at University!
- A chance to meet a variety of students
- Develop extensive interpersonal skills - great for your CV
- Flexible! You can volunteer whenever you're available!
Want to get involved?
Follow us on our social media to stay up to date with our upcoming events and training sessions:
If you have any further questions, or would like to know more, feel free drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the current pandemic, we have been working hard to be able to deliver socially distanced and safe events. As a result, volunteering with Leicester Marrow will be both fun, rewarding and safe!
For the first semester, we won't be running any in-person events. However, we have lots of virtual events planned where we will need plenty of volunteer help! This includes a Marroween virtual pub quiz (with lots of prizes), society collaborations and physical challenges to help us continue raise money and awareness for Anthony Nolan during these unprecedented times. So don't worry, there is still plenty of socialising and saving lives.
What if I'm isolating?
In addition to this, we have created a virtual volunteering opportunity which can be found here: https://www.leicesterunion.com/volunteer/opportunities/ under 'Leicester Marrow'. This allows you to continue to help our lifesaving cause of getting more people onto the register, but in the safety of your own home and in your own time.
It's a great way to continue making an impact, alongside attending our virtual events! For those students at the University of Leicester who are isolating and/or have busy schedules, but would still like to help save the lives and be part of Marrow, this is a perfect opportunity for you!
We look forward to welcoming you to the Leicester Marrow family!