Could you lead this Student Group?
We are the new Journalism Society!
Our aims are to:
- Create a community of likeminded aspiring journalists and help those with a keen interest in the industry learn more through writing workshops, networking events, socials and writing competitions.
- Improve employment prospects by providing members with relevant building blocks to help them attain a career in journalism, along with opportunity to network with exissting professional journalists.
- Help members improve upon essential skills needed to be successful in the industry.
- Gain more understanding of the sub-disciplines of journalism.
- Share and express different pathways into the industry - using social platforms to share job prospects and opportunities to our members.
- Maintain a healthy balance between holding educational and fun events.
- Organise and encourage educational activities and knowledge exchanges between members of the society, and with professional experts in the field of journalism
- Collaborate with the Leicester Student Magazine to allow students to publish their own writing in the University's magazine !
Regularly check our social medias (see details below) for all our latest events. However, here is a sneak peak for what we have planned for semester 1:
- October Welcome Talk to meet the members of the society and to find out how to get access to our events, and how to get involved with the Leicester Student Magazine!
- Writing workshops with the lecturer of Journalism at the University to learn how to enhance your writing
- Netflix Party Socials, Society Quizzes and icebreaker online drinking socials
- Online guest speaker events with professional journalists. Last year we had Paul Nettleton and David Firn!! Paul Nettleton is a freelance journalist and a University of Leicester graduate. He previously worked for both the Observer and the Guardian, and was an editor for The Ripple. At his talk he shared his story of his career progression and also discussed the rise of digital journalism.