Enthusiastic about Societies at Leicester?
Get involved and make an impact!
What is Societies Council?
Societies Council, chaired by the Activities Officer of the Students' Union, aims to give a platform for the opinions and ideas of members of a variety of student groups to discuss and make decisions on important topics relating to student groups and activities within the Students’ Union in collaboration with Executive Officers.
What do we do?
We meet biweekly, with sessions alternating between a review meeting of New Student Group and Grant Funding applications and a forum where we discuss individual projects as well as wider projects alongside the Activities Officer and other members of the Council.
The time commitment for this voluntary role is between five hours a month, there may be times when the role requires additional hours, however these are optional and work around your schedules. Council selection will be based on online applications followed by a short interview.
We have the following representatives:
- Academic and Course-based Representative
- National and Cultural Representative
- Faith Representative
- Sport Representative
- Arts & Performance Representative
- Sustainability Representative
- Common Interest & Hobbies Representative
We are also looking to expand the council into other areas depending on the members of the council. This is why we have also created a general:
We want Societies Council to be driven by students for students and as such, we will be looking to appoint a Student Vice Chair to support the Activities Officer in the effective operation of the Council. This role will be chosen from successful representatives following a vote.
What are the responsibilities?
Working closely with our Activities Officer, the core responsibilities of Council Members in this role are:
- To attend biweekly Societies Council Meetings.
- To attend separate monthly Student Council meetings to represent the voice of Societies.
- To represent the student voice for your category and act as a point of contact for relevant student groups
- To review and vote on New Student Group Applications
- To review and vote on Grant Funding Applications
- To work on individual projects as well as wider projects alongside the Activities Officer and other members of the Council
Student Group Memberships paid for or reimbursed for the year. (Up to £45, each membership will be reviewed individually)
Rockstar Promotions Privilege Pass (Free entry to O2 Academy for Letsdisko and Shabang events)
Guaranteed Attendance for Union Award events at the end of the Year
Attenborough Arts at Home Kits
Refreshments at meetings
Dates to Remember:
Interviews: Week beginning 3rd October 2022
Results of Interview: Week beginning 10th October 2022
How to apply:
Applications are now closed but may be reopened for further positions at a later date.