Enthusiastic about Societies at Leicester? Get involved and make an impact!
Leicester Students’ Union is looking for students to join the Societies Council! Chaired by the Activities Officer, Societies Council aims to give a platform for the opinions and ideas of Committee Members to support the direction of the Activities & Volunteering Department at the Students’ Union.
Who are we looking for to join Societies Council?
This year, we are currently looking for six enthusiastic students to join our team of student volunteers. We will be reopening applications for two further positions in November dedicated to postgraduate and first year representatives.
You do not need to be a committee member to be part of Societies Council – you just need to be enthusiastic about Societies at Leicester.
We are actively seeking applications from a wide range of societies to ensure a wide range of student group experiences and opinions.
What are the responsibilities of Societies Council?
Working closely with our Activities Officer, the core responsibilities of Council Members in this role are:
- To attend monthly Societies Council Meetings
- The time/platform of these will be decided once the Council has been chosen, to fit around everyone’s timetables
- To review and vote on New Student Group Applications
- To review and vote on Grant Funding Applications
- To work on projects alongside the Activities Officer
- To sit on the panel for Student Group Awards for the Student Opportunities Awards
We are planning to work with the council to include other responsibilities, depending on individuals’ passions and strengths.
The time commitment for this voluntary role is a maximum of four hours a month. Council selection will be based on online applications followed by a short interview.
- Free attendance to Student Opportunities Awards
- Certification of your Council Membership from the SU
Dates to Remember
- Applications Open: 10th September 2021
- Applications Close: 30th September 2021 Midday (12pm)
- Interviews: Week beginning 6th October 2021
- Results of Interview: 10th October 2021
If successful, you will be required to attend training relating to the role provided by the Activities & Volunteering Department.
How to apply
You can apply here (www.leicesterunion.com/surveys/SocCouncil2122)
What does the application involve?
In the application, we will ask you the following things:
- Please provide a brief introduction to yourself, your interests and overall university experience so far in the space below
- Briefly explain why you have decided to apply for this position
- Briefly outline a maximum of three ways you’d plan to improve Societies and Committee Support at Leicester in the space below
- Liberation is defined by Leicester Students’ Union as ‘The act of seeking equal status and freedom from oppression. Liberation is vital to ensure that students do not face any discrimination that could impact their participation, achievement and progression in education and other areas of life’. Give an example of how a Student Group can ensure liberation is at the core of all their activities and events.
- Is there anything else you’d like the panel to know about you?
- Do you have any questions that you’d like us to answer, or anything we can reassure you with?